There are several different styles of kitchen. You could choose Old World, transitional kitchen, contemporary, or rustic country. However, all of these styles differ from traditional kitchen design. Traditional kitchens encompass many different styles. What you will see in a traditional kitchen are natural patterns of flowers, butterflies, or fruits, natural materials like wood and stone, mix and matched layers of color and texture, muted colors, and lots of windows. What you won’t see in a traditional kitchen are the bright blues and golds of an Old World kitchen or the clean lines and minimal design of a contemporary kitchen. So, how do you incorporate traditional style elements in your kitchen?
How to Get the Traditional Kitchen Look
Experienced kitchen designers know exactly how to pay attention to every detail to create the perfect traditional kitchen. Here are a few things that promote the traditional look:
- Stay consistent: Are there any elements in your kitchen that do not have traditional ornamentation or that look drastically different from your traditional design scheme? Whether it’s a piece of furniture or a piece of artwork, it should be removed so that it doesn’t detract from the traditional style.
- Patterned flooring: Choosing a flooring style that incorporates patterns is a big aspect of traditional design. You can choose a stone flooring that has natural texture, choose a tile pattern that varies in color and size, or choose flooring that incorporates a pattern.
- Breakfast nook: Have you always wanted a breakfast nook? A great way to work in a breakfast nook to your traditional design is to incorporate a wood table and chairs with carved legs under a large window. Ornamentation is key in traditional design!
- Fabric for color: When choosing curtains and cushions for your kitchen, go with colorful nature scenes, patterns, and stripes. Steer clear of geometric designs which do not fit well in a traditional kitchen.
- Avoid streamlined hardware: sleek kitchen hardware is attractive, but it is also a key feature of contemporary kitchens. For a traditional look, go with hardware that is embellished with more flourishes and ornamentation.
Whether you’re looking for a remodel or an update, talk to one of our experts at Elite Kitchens about building your dream timeless bathroom remodel. With our excellent designers, installation process, and quality craftsmen, it’ll be the best investment you’ve made in your home. Contact us online, by calling 301-881-2776, or email us for a free estimate and assessment of your needs. All of our work is backed with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. We look forward to meeting your remodeling needs for years to come! To see examples of our work and get more tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Houzz, and Pinterest.